Having a smile filled with stained teeth can make you want to seek professional whitening help. Other people might think it’s time to take matters into their own hands. Philips Zoom! teeth whitening and whitening trays are two products that aim to do exactly what you would expect: whiten your teeth. Even so, many people aren’t sure when to choose one option over the other. This guide aims to make things a little clearer.
There are a lot of reasons why people come to the Hornbrook Center for Dentistry, especially when considering teeth whitening procedures. A lot of our patients feel they need to hide their smiles, but with Philips Zoom! technology, our staff can help change that. Call our San Diego dental office at (619) 754-8827 to schedule a consultation. We want you to take pride in your smile!
Philips Zoom! Teeth Whitening
Philips Zoom! teeth whitening is simply a procedure that a customer has done with their dentist, and it usually takes less than an hour to do. It is one of the most reliable and fast ways to whiter teeth. The procedure is pretty basic too, and usually begins with the dentist or trained clinician covering your gums. This is to avoid any of the whitening solution from getting on the dentition so they can focus on your teeth. They will then put on a hydrogen peroxide whitening gel and shine a special light that activates the gel and makes your teeth whiter.
This process needs to happen three times in one sitting and usually lasts around 15 minutes per coating. A fluoride gel is then applied to stop your teeth from becoming sensitive after the hydrogen peroxide solution, and you'll usually be given some tips on how to look after your whiter teeth. That is essentially everything about the Philips Zoom! whitening procedure, though there are some pros and cons to examine.
Pros of Philips Zoom! Teeth Whitening
There are a number of positives to the Philips Zoom! teeth whitening process, and it is an internationally recognized as a perfectly safe method of teeth recolorant that is recommended by dentists. Below are just some of the other remarkable benefits:
- It is a fast and reliable service that gives guaranteed results in under an hour.
- Because it is administered by a trained professional, you don't need to worry about doing anything yourself.
- It's actually a fully customizable procedure because you are able to choose the precise shade of white you are looking for.
- The hydrogen peroxide whitening gel is capable of penetrating your enamel to remove difficult stains that you may have struggled with for years.
- Once you have had the procedure, results will last for a long time if you continue to care for your new whitened teeth.
Cons of Philips Zoom! Teeth Whitening
Whilst many people who have had the procedure are completely satisfied, there are certainly some cons to Philips Zoom! teeth whitening that shouldn't be ignored if it is a procedure that you are considering:
- It is one of the most expensive options to you. Exact prices may vary, but you can expect to pay upwards of $500 for the procedure.
- There can be some sensitivity afterwards. The fluoride gel that is applied at the end certainly helps remove some of this sensitivity, it has been known to persist after the procedure. Admittedly, most people will notice it subsiding after a week or two, but it can certainly inconvenience you for a short time.
As simple as the Philips Zoom! system is, you might want to learn about the alternative. Whitening trays are a method of teeth recoloring that is usually an over the counter solution to your teeth whitening needs. In short, you will be expected to apply these teeth whitening trays yourself at home. Typically this will involve a flexible material that moulds to your teeth. Whitening trays will vary between brands, but some will have the peroxide whitening gel already in the moulds, and others will come with syringes to apply to the moulds yourself.
Both methods are just as effective, and they only differ because of manufacturing and production differences between brands. Whitening trays are a slightly more long term solution to teeth whitening, and each pack will contain a certain number of moulds for using twice daily. Brands also differ in terms of how long you should keep the whitening trays on your teeth, so be sure to read your individual brands packet instructions first. Some may require an hour or so, and others might recommend overnight usage. Generally though, following your packet instructions will result in whiter teeth long term.
Pros of Whitening Trays
Whitening trays will do the job, and do the job well, as long as you follow the instructions carefully and make sure you are applying the moulds correctly. Here are some of the main benefits:
- Whitening trays are a much cheaper alternative to Philips Zoom! teeth whitening, even considering the daily application. On average you can usually find decent quality whitening trays that will give you the results you want for around $100 for one or two month’s worth of application.
- You don't have to see a dentist for the procedure itself, you can simply do it at home.
- It's a genuine alternative to Philips Zoom! teeth whitening if the procedure involved in that is something you're worried about.
Cons of Whitening Trays
There are a few cons to any over the counter treatment, including whitening trays. Here are a few of them for you to consider:
- By doing it yourself, you lose the advantage of a professional application, which means more room for error.
- It will take time to see a change, so you will need to be patient.
- Some whitening trays require you to leave them in for over an hour. You are advised not to eat or drink during that time, requiring you plan your schedule around whitening applications.
It is worth pointing out that while whitening trays do have a certain number of cons attached to them, they really are a viable alternative to Philips Zoom! treatments, especially if going to see a professional is something you wish to avoid.. Sometimes, whitening strips are the absolute correct choice for you regardless, as it often comes down to your specific teeth whitening needs. To help you decide, here are some different scenarios and consider which teeth whitening solution would be best!
Philips Zoom! Teeth Whitening VS Whitening Trays: Which one is right for you?
Both of these treatments will give you the results you’re looking for. If you follow the procedure correctly and stick to the proper aftercare treatment, you can make sure you keep your teeth as white as possible. There are, however, some situations where one treatment will simply give you better results over the other!
Do you have persistent stains or discoloring?
If you are somebody who has particularly discolored teeth or stains that have been there for a while, then you ought to consider spending your money on Philips Zoom! teeth whitening. This is because the light that the dentists use and the professional application will give you much better results. Since whitening trays are over the counter, they contain peroxide gels that simply aren't as strong as the gels that the dentist can administer. That being said, if your teeth are only a shade or two different to where you would want them to be, whitening trays might work for you and save you a little money too.
How quickly do you want results?
This really does come down to personal preference. As we know, Philips Zoom! will give you instant results and whitening trays may take a month or two. The thing to consider here is, how long can you wait before you see results? If your wedding is next week and you want whiter teeth, then the Philips Zoom! procedure will be your best choice. If, however, you're a struggling student and you want a great smile for your graduation in a few months, cheaper over-the-counter options are probably your best bet.
Professional help or not?
Again this is a question only you can answer. If you're somebody who is quite clumsy or forgetful, then Philips Zoom! is the better option because it's a procedure that will take one hour, and all you need to do is show up because the rest will be taken care of for you. If dentist surgeries make you uncomfortable, or you know that you can rely upon yourself to stick to the treatment longer term, then consider whitening trays instead. It really depends on your individual character and whether you think you would benefit from assistance or not.
The basic teeth whitening process is similar between options, meaning you still might have questions about both methods. Our staff are waiting to take your call at (619) 754-8827 to answer all of your questions. At the Hornbrook Center for Dentistry, giving you better teeth only helps our smiles get even bigger!